Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sick and thinking

The past 24 hours have not been fun. I won't go into details on what sickness I have, but it does involve my stomach and fluids. Ok, that's enough :).

Over the past several weeks, I've been thinking and praying about what it means to be a Christian. Many churches make Christianity out to be a religion of legalism and rules. Don't get me wrong, as believes it is important that we read scripture and live by it, however many churches preach legalism and have turned the world away.

I've been involved with several churches in my 28 years old this earth, who have turned their backs on those in need. I don't understand why we are commanded to carry out the great commission, yet we don't because we're more concerned about singing hyms than praise songs, or vise versa. We might as well "flick off" the world and tell them to go to hell.

At one of the churches we were at, a lady told me, "if this church ever goes to two services, I'm leaving." How sad is that? When we read the book of Acts, we see that thousands were added to the church in a single day. How sad and depressing is that it is not happening here.

I am tempted to pick on denominations, but it won't do any good. All denominations are guilty of pointing the finger and telling the world to go to hell.

Christianity is about grace. We need to show grace, love, mercy. Yes, we need to preach the truth which involves God's wrath, justice, and discipline, however we need to preach his grace.

My heart aches for the lost. My heart aches whenever I screw up. I just hope the church aches when it screws up.

No comments: